Dealing with the aftermath

Well folks hurricane Michael kicked our ever lovin’ asses. This event was by far the most horrifying thing I’ve ever experienced. My hubby said it was scarier than war (he was a Marine in his younger years), a statement like that really brings home the gravity of the situation, I know it did for me.

After everything passed we sat in our cars, made brief trips into what used to be our home to collect important items. My boy being every bit as sentimental as myself went back in for the photo albums. Lance and I made trips in to use the bathroom and grab belongings that we would need to get through when we get a hotel room.

While walking through the wreckage that was our home brought many, many tears to my already swollen eyes. So many questions filling my head, like are we going to rebuild? Should we call it a day and rent or is it salvageable?

My neighbor Ken came over took a look around and said it was a total loss. Ken works with Insurance companies and has many years experience in rehabbing properties. I was glad he shot from the hip.

Now at least I have some direction without holding out useless hope. I still don’t know where to begin with this whole process, but I’ll make a go of it. First thing is to call the insurance co after we get a hold of our families.

Cell reception is a no-go, we’re positive both our families are sick with worry. Lance received a txt from his daughter Marci. She was panicked because she couldn’t get a hold of him. We both felt terrible he couldn’t respond. My phone wasn’t receiving any type of signal.

I had promised my mom I’d call her as soon as it was over, but was unable. To top it off her 87th birthday is on 10/12. I never miss the chance to call her to wish her the best of birthdays. I’m pretty sure last year was the first and only time since she became my mom that I’ve missed a birthday. That was only because I was really sick and my MS was kicking my butt. I just know she’ll be waiting for my call, and worrying.

My mom and my sissy are the two I’m desperate to get a hold of. I know if I can get a hold of them they’ll get a hold of everyone else.

As the day progressed and alerts came through about a mandatory curfew, I thought to myself. How the hell are we getting alerts about a curfew and boil water notices and not able to call our families?

With trees and power lines down it was painfully evident that we couldn’t go anywhere. We couldn’t go in the house for any length of time because of water everywhere and the ceiling falling in.

We opted to just sit in our cars with the pets, we really didn’t opt but had no other choice. Our neighbor Ken and his wife came over with sandwiches and chips for us. We were thankful for their generosity. They really are the kindest people. Those are not the neighbors I’m referencing when I say I hate my neighbors. 😂

As we sat in our cars and night fell upon us the reality of everything set in. We are essentially homeless at this point. I was so afraid to go back in the house after dark I wound up having to pee in my front yard. Had I been able to go to the side yard I would have, but that’s where the majority of our roof landed. Between my cane and leaning against the car I was able to hold myself up for a moment to urinate without wetting my clothes.

As I squatted and leaned on the car to urinate I had to chuckle to myself. I pride myself on being well put together and behaving somewhat like a lady. These extraordinary events pulled any pride I had in me out. I was taken down a notch pissing in my front yard. It was dark so I don’t think anyone saw, but to be honest I really didn’t care.

While the evening progressed and I was able to breath again with the storm passing nerve pain set in at an unbelievable level. Nerve pain can really throw you for a loop, it feels as though my skin pure hurts. Not like flu-like skin hurting but worse.

There was no sleep to be had for this gal. The pain is mind boggling and every time I started to drift off I was startled awake with the irrational thought that I would die as I slept. I wound up getting a total of about 1/2 hr sleep. David slept in his car and Lance was able to get a couple of hours, I sat there thinking about how lucky we had been to escape unharmed.

So now my hubby is going to feed the pups, who by the way have been excellent animals. They went with the flow the whole way through. I’m a proud pet momma.

The sun is rising and we have the gift of another day. I’m tired and in pain, but still thankful, and yes God is good every day. I’ll say it til my dying day.

I’m going to leave everyone with a thought, be thankful for everything and everyone in your life. They’re a gift and can be taken away at any moment. My husband and boys have been spared and if that isn’t the best gift ever, I don’t know what is.

Thanks for reading the ramblings of a tired old gal ❤️

Author: mswithmsalex

A funny gals take on the ups and downs of dealing with MS. The stuff people don't like to talk about. The hilarious situations I've found myself in. I hope this brings laughter to a disease that isn't very humorous

5 thoughts on “Dealing with the aftermath”

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s